Saturday, March 25, 2006

Models for Modelers


Saw some incredible sculpts of this guys work on Cartoon Brew and now I can’t find them again. They were very expressive and had a lot of motion to them. I’m going to start doing that with my work. The pieces I’m posting were done for the ill fated Popeye TV special. I did the sculpts in a static pose close to the traditional ‘Jesus Pose’ used by c.g. modelers because they were going to be used as guides for the modeling department. You might notice the hands have a closed fist and an open hand. That’s because the characters hands were so different in a neutral open hand from the fist and the modeler/riggers would need to make a ‘blend shape’ to work it into a fist. You might notice too that Bluto has no gap in his front teeth. This is how the Fleischer Studio model sheets always had him. The next character sculpts I do will be more gesture action poses.

No comments: